The Session Of St. Andrew’s is pleased to announce the hiring of two new staff members for Christian Education. Martha Fergusson will be our Coordinator of Christian Education and Michael Swan will be our Youth Leader. They are both getting started in their ministries this week, and we will commission them for service this Sunday, January 18th during the worship service. Come and worship with us!
Start your 2015 off well by coming to worship at St. Andrew’s this Sunday, January 4th at 11:00 am. We will celebrate the Epiphany of the Lord. Although it’s predicted to be very cold outside, the sanctuary is warm, as are the people that gather to worship and share fellowship together on Sunday mornings. I hope you can join us.
- Youth Gathering with Rev. Amanda: All youth (grades 7-12ish) are invited to have lunch with Rev. Amanda on Sunday, January 11th at 1:00 pm in the lower hall of the church. Although our Youth Coordinator, Matt Pelerine, has finished his work with us and moved into a new position in Prince Albert, youth ministry will continue. The purpose of the gathering is to connect and talk about your ideas and hopes for the youth group in the upcoming season. Whether you are a regular participant in the youth group, you come occasionally, or you’ve never been before, we want to hear from you. Lunch will be provided.
- Sunday Morning Bible Study: We will begin meeting again for Bible study next Sunday, January 11th at 9:30 am. We use study materials from “Feasting on the Word” to explore one of the lectionary texts that will be used in worship. Come every week or whenever you are able. New participants are always welcome. Copies of the studies are available in the parlour.
Please join us in this holy season of waiting, watching, and celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ our Lord.
Sunday, November 30th – First Sunday of Advent and Holy Communion
Saturday, December 6th, 10 AM to Noon – “Together at Advent”, a program for all ages – children, teens, families, seniors, singles… The program will include stories, singing, crafts, and more.
Sunday, December 7th – Second Sunday of Advent. Following worship there will be a Chapel Communion Service for those who missed Communion the Sunday before and for anyone who would like to participate. It will take place at the front of the sanctuary following the musical postlude, and will be about a 10 minute service.
Wednesday, December 10th, 7:00 PM – Christmas Memorial Service. Though Christmas is often a time of joy and gladness, it can be a difficult time for many among us. Whether you have experienced the loss of a loved one recently, or you are struggling with a job loss, illness, or other challenges, please join us for a service of Light & Hope in the Midst of Darkness. Everyone is welcome, as we place our trust in the Coming Christ who is our Light. The service will include Holy Communion and an opportunity to light a candle in memory of a loved one.
Sunday, December 14th, 11:00 AM – Third Sunday of Advent with special Christmas music by the choir and our Music Director, Gillian Lyons.
Sunday, December 14th – Advent Appeal gifts are due today so that they can be delivered to missions and helping agencies before Christmas.
Tuesday, December 16th, 7:00 PM – Carolling at The Lighthouse. Everyone is welcome to join in singing and sharing fellowship with the residents. Bring along some Christmas goodies to share if you can. Bring your voice and your Christmas spirit for sure!
Sunday, December 21st, 11:00 AM – Church School Christmas Presentation. Come hear the Christmas story once again, and enjoy seeing our youngest members dressed up as shepherds and angels!
Sunday, December 21st, 2:00 PM – Worship and Christmas Dinner at the Saskatoon Native Circle Ministry. Speak to Al Ireland or Robin de Bruijn if you would like to help out with serving Christmas Dinner at SNCM.
Wednesday, December 24th, 7:00 PM – Christmas Eve Family Worship
St. Andrew’s belongs to the Presbytery of Northern Saskatchewan – a group of Presbyterian congregations and missions in this part of the province including Saskatoon, Prince Albert, North Battleford, Melfort, Tisdale, and the Mistawasis First Nation.
The Presbytery of Northern Saskatchewan is now online! Check out the new website to find out more about our partners in ministry. If you happen to be visiting another city for the weekend, consider attending worship at another Presbyterian congregation. Be sure to bring greetings from St. Andrew’s in Saskatoon to our Presbyterian friends wherever you are travelling.
In the month of November, we will have a few special events at St. Andrew’s:
- Nov. 1st – Nursery Family Party – An informal gathering for families with nursery age children, 10 am – noon.
- Nov. 1st – Session Retreat – All elders are encouraged to attend, 1:30-4:30 pm.
- Nov. 14th – Concert with Michael Swan, Gillian Lyons, and six other musicians, featuring compositions by Michael Swan, 7:30 pm. Adults $25, Students $15, Families $50. Tickets available at McNally Robinson or at the door.
- Nov. 16th – Lingering Lunch & Learn about the Presbyterian Record, following worship. Everyone is welcome. Lunch will be provided by the Stewardship Committee.
- Nov. 22nd – Christmas Tea & Bake Sale, 2-4 pm. A wonderful afternoon of fellowship, food, and getting into the Christmas spirit!
- Nov. 29th – Women’s breakfast at Mulberry’s on Third Avenue, 8:30 am.
- Nov. 30th – Advent begins with a service of worship including Holy Communion.