The Season of Lent will begin with Ash Wednesday on March 5th. Everyone is invited to the service at St. Andrew’s (436 Spadina Crescent E) including Holy Communion and the Imposition of Ashes at 7:00 pm. Take the opportunity to be nourished and strengthened by communion with God and one another for the Lenten journey that lies ahead.
A Lenten Study – Biblical Models Of Discipleship In The New Testament: What is Christian discipleship? One might be tempted to say, “Just live the way the disciples did in the New Testament,” and leave it at that. But such a declaration is more complex than one might initially believe. It appears that even during the earliest period of Christian history, there was not a single means by which to follow Christ. Throughout this study, we will investigate key texts of the New Testament, revealing many methods by which disciples functioned as followers or pupils, and ask how applicable these methods might be for thoughtful Christians of our day.
You are invited to participate in this exploration of discipleship at St. Andrew’s (436 Spadina Crescent E) on Wednesday evenings from 7:00-8:30 pm during Lent:
Wed. Mar. 5th, 7:00-8:00 pm – Ash Wednesday Worship
Wed. Mar. 12th – Mark 4:1-9
Wed. Mar. 19th – Matthew 6:19-34
Wed. Mar. 26th – Luke 6:20-38
Wed. Apr. 2nd – John 15:12-17
Wed. Apr. 9th – Galatians 3:27-29
Wed. Apr. 16th – Titus 2:11-14
A Maundy Thursday Worship will be held on April 17th at Calvin Goforth Church (1602 Sommerfeld Ave.) at 7:00 pm. As we gather to remember the last supper Jesus’ shared with his disciples, we will share in the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper. Everyone is invited to bring a pair of new socks to donate to the Saskatoon Native Circle Ministry.
Early-Morning Easter Worship & Breakfast (in Kiwanis Park, across the street from St. Andrew’s). We will gather in the park at 8:30 am for an early-morning worship service in celebration of the resurrection of Christ. Breakfast will be served at about 9:30 a.m. by our Presbyterian Youth in the lower hall of St. Andrew’s. A free will offering will be received to send our youth to Canada Youth 2014.
February is “Bring some underwear to church” month at St. Andrew’s!
The Outreach Committee is encouraging everyone to bring new packages of underwear to church, which will then be distributed between Saskatoon Native Circle Ministry, The Lighthouse, and the YWCA Women’s Crisis Center. A bin will be provided for all items donated.
Things to consider:
- Please, no used underwear. All underwear should be in its original packaging or with the original tags attached.
- It can be either men’s or women’s, but be aware that there is more of a need for men’s.
- They can be S, M, L or XL. God did not make everyone the same size.
- It can be long or short. Long will help during the cold weather, but short will also be very much appreciated.
In Saskatoon there are a number of agencies that provide good condition used clothing either free, or at a very reasonable cost. However, because of the nature of the item, underwear is somewhat less available. It would be nice to be able to provide someone with a change.
This 10-week program and weekend retreat grounded in Christian spirituality will provide insight, hope and prayerful support for those who have experienced a wide variety of losses, including the death of a loved one, illness, loss of a job, and the ending of a marriage or significant relationship.
Tuesday afternoons beginning February 4th at 1:00 pm at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. Repeated Wednesday evenings beginning February 5th at 7:00 pm at The Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist. Cost: $200 or $20/week.
Retreat will be held Feb 27th to March 2nd at Queen’s House Retreat Centre. Cost: $390 (live-in).
Registration deadline: Monday, Feb 3rd.
Facilitator: Sarah Donnelly, BA, M.Div.
Happy New Year! Here are some of the things coming up at St. Andrew’s this month. I hope you’ll be able to join us:
- Sunday, January 5th – Epiphany Sunday, worship at 11 am.
- Wednesday, January 8th – Prayer Shawl Group (knitters and crochet-ers welcome!)
- Fridays, January 10th & 24th – Prayer Group at 11 am (Come, pray with us for the church, the world, and those in need.)
- Sunday, January 12th – Bible Study Begins Again at 9:30 am in the parlour (materials available in the parlour Sunday Jan. 5th)
- Thursday, January 16th – Thursday Group Meets at 1:30 pm. Everyone is welcome.
- Sundays, January 19th & 26th – Sandwich Making Parties after worship for the Saskatoon Native Circle Ministry
- Wednesday, January 22nd – Women’s League Meeting at 10:30 am (all women welcome)
- Saturday, January 25th – Women’s Breakfast at Mulberry’s on 3rd Ave (8:30 am)
- We will celebrate the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity in Saskatoon from January 18th – 26th. Check the back of St. Andrew’s January calendar for all the special events happening during this week, or go to Ecumenism in Canada and scroll down to find the schedule for Saskatoon.
- Sat. Dec. 7th
9:30 am – 2:30 pm Ecumenical Advent Retreat at St. John’s Anglican Cathedral
- Sun. Dec. 8th
11:00 am Second Sunday of Advent
- Wed. Dec. 11th
7:00 pm Christmas Memorial Service, especially for those who have lost loved ones in the past year. All are welcome.
- Sun. Dec. 15th
Deadline for Advent Appeal gifts
- Sun. Dec. 15th
11:00 am Christmas presentation by the children of the Church School
- Wed. Dec. 18th
7:00 pm Carolling at The Lighthouse
- Sun. Dec. 22nd
11:00 am Fourth Sunday of Advent with special music by the St. Andrew’s choir and St. Andrew’s musicians.
- Tues. Dec. 24th
7:00 pm Christmas Eve Family Worship