Happy New Year! Here are some of the things coming up at St. Andrew’s this month. I hope you’ll be able to join us:
- Sunday, January 5th – Epiphany Sunday, worship at 11 am.
- Wednesday, January 8th – Prayer Shawl Group (knitters and crochet-ers welcome!)
- Fridays, January 10th & 24th – Prayer Group at 11 am (Come, pray with us for the church, the world, and those in need.)
- Sunday, January 12th – Bible Study Begins Again at 9:30 am in the parlour (materials available in the parlour Sunday Jan. 5th)
- Thursday, January 16th – Thursday Group Meets at 1:30 pm. Everyone is welcome.
- Sundays, January 19th & 26th – Sandwich Making Parties after worship for the Saskatoon Native Circle Ministry
- Wednesday, January 22nd – Women’s League Meeting at 10:30 am (all women welcome)
- Saturday, January 25th – Women’s Breakfast at Mulberry’s on 3rd Ave (8:30 am)
- We will celebrate the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity in Saskatoon from January 18th – 26th. Check the back of St. Andrew’s January calendar for all the special events happening during this week, or go to Ecumenism in Canada and scroll down to find the schedule for Saskatoon.
- Sat. Dec. 7th
9:30 am – 2:30 pm Ecumenical Advent Retreat at St. John’s Anglican Cathedral
- Sun. Dec. 8th
11:00 am Second Sunday of Advent
- Wed. Dec. 11th
7:00 pm Christmas Memorial Service, especially for those who have lost loved ones in the past year. All are welcome.
- Sun. Dec. 15th
Deadline for Advent Appeal gifts
- Sun. Dec. 15th
11:00 am Christmas presentation by the children of the Church School
- Wed. Dec. 18th
7:00 pm Carolling at The Lighthouse
- Sun. Dec. 22nd
11:00 am Fourth Sunday of Advent with special music by the St. Andrew’s choir and St. Andrew’s musicians.
- Tues. Dec. 24th
7:00 pm Christmas Eve Family Worship
Rev. Amanda Is Offering church membership classes on Sundays from November 3rd to November 24th, 12:30-1:30 pm. The classes are an opportunity for you to explore your faith, learn about what it means to be a Presbyterian, and prepare to profess your faith, be baptized, and become a member of the church. The classes are open to anyone from Grade 9 to adults. If you are new to our church community, or if you have never formally become a member, or if you just want to explore your faith a little more you’re welcome to join us. Please speak to Rev. Amanda for more information.
InterChurch Health Ministries Of Saskatchewan, the organization that provides training for our Pastoral Care Nurse, invites you to attend a fundraising concert featuring Aven Grace, a country gospel singer from Nipawin on Thursday, November 7th at 7:30 pm at Redeemer Lutheran Church (Preston Ave at Main St). Find out more about Aven Grace and listen to some of her music online at http://www.avengrace.com/. Tickets available from Rev. Amanda, McNally Robinson and at at the door ($20/adult, $10/student).
Let’s Keep Our Directory Up-To-Date! If you missed having your photo taken for our directory, or if you’re new to St. Andrew’s, we’d love to include you in our directory! Please take a moment to have your photo taken in the church library following the worship service on Sunday, November 17th (12:15-1:15 pm). No appointments necessary. (Directories are available from the church office for a suggested donation of $5.) Note: If you are already in the directory, but you’d like to have your picture updated, feel free to have your photo taken too.
Christmas Tea & Bake Sale: On Saturday, November 23rd from 2:00-4:00 pm the Women’s League will host its annual Christmas Tea & Bake Sale. Everyone is invited! $3.50 includes coffee or tea and dessert. All donations of baking or time are greatly appreciated. Baking may be dropped off any time after 10:00 am on the 23rd.
I hope that you are all enjoying these final warm days of summer in Saskatoon, but also anticipating the many new beginnings that come every year in September. We remember in prayer those embarking on new ventures in school, work or family life, and especially pray for students and teachers in our local schools and within our church programs as they begin a new year.
If you’re not out of town for this long weekend, I hope to see you this Sunday, September 1st for worship at St. Andrew’s at 11 am.
Here are some of the things coming up in our church calendar this September that you might want to make note of as you begin to organize the busy month ahead:
- Men’s breakfast at Mulberry’s (Market Mall): Monday, Sept. 2nd at 9 am and following Mondays
- Choir practice: Thursday, Sept. 5th at 7:30 pm and following Thursdays (New singers welcome!)
- Women’s Camp at Camp Christopher: Sept. 6-8th (I’m sure any last-minute registrations would be welcome.)
- Church School Teacher Training: Sunday, Sept. 8th following worship
- Prayer Shawl Group: Wednesday, Sept. 11th at 2 pm
- Sunday Morning Bible Study: Sunday, Sept. 15th at 9:30 am and following Sundays
- Church School Classes Begin: Sunday, Sept. 15th following the children’s message
- Potluck Lunch & Bible Jeopardy Game: Sunday, Sept. 15th following worship
- Youth Group: Sundays, Sept. 15th, 22nd & 29th at 7:00 pm (grades 7-12)
- Women’s Missionary Society: Monday, Sept. 16th at 7:30 pm
- Prayer Group: Fridays, Sept. 13th & Sept. 27th at 11 am
- Thursday Group: Thursday, Sept. 19th at 1:30 pm
- Re-dedication of the Stained Glass Windows from Parkview Church: Sunday, Sept. 22nd
- Women’s League: Wednesday, September 25th at 10:30 am
- Invite Friends & Family to Church Sundae: Sunday, Sept. 29th (With ice cream sundaes after worship!)
- World Communion Sunday: Sunday, Oct. 6th
Sunday worship services will continue at St. Andrew’s through the summer at the usual time of 11:00 a.m. Do come and worship with friendly Presbyterians this summer!
Give yourself a little extra time during the summer months as events in the park across the street sometimes add to the traffic and use up some of the street parking. If you get to the corner of 20th Street and Spadina and find a “Road Closed Ahead” sign, don’t hesitate to drive past it and into the church parking lot. If there is an attendant beside the sign, just let them know you’re going to church and they should let you through. Alternatively, feel free to use the underground parking at the Radisson Hotel (access from 20th Street) as there is always plenty of complimentary underground parking for our use on Sunday mornings.
Volunteers are needed during the summer 1) to lead Junior Congregation - Sign up sheet is posted on the bulletin board in the entranceway, 2) to host the fellowship time following worship – Sign up sheet is posted in the lower hall.
The Friday morning Prayer Group will meet at 11 am in the parlour on June 28, July 12 & 26, August 9 & 23. The Prayer Shawl knitting/crocheting Group will meet on Wednesday July 10 & August 14 at 2 pm.
Everyone is welcome to attend Camp Christopher’s Annual Open House on Saturday, July 6. There will be a barbecue at noon and an opportunity to tour the camp and enjoy some camp activities like games, swimming, and canoeing. A worship service, including the commissioning of the 2013 staff will be held at 3 pm.
We will celebrate the Sacrament of Holy Communion on Sunday, July 14. Please plan to join us for this special celebration in our church family.
The Outreach Committee will continue to host Sandwich Making Parties to make sandwiches for the Native Circle Ministry on 20th Street. During the summer there will be Sandwich Making Parties after worship on July 14 & 21 and August 18 & 25. Please feel welcome to join the party!
Women’s Camp for women of all ages will be held September 6-8 at Camp Christopher. Registration forms are available on the entranceway table at the church. Deadline for registrations is August 28th.